In an ideal world, we’d get everything we need from a well-balanced diet, but no matter how well we eat, a stressful day can really burn through our nutrient stockpiles. So in addition to the small (but important!) changes you make in your eating and lifestyle habits, there are several natural supplements to consider for addressing adrenal imbalance. Let’s take a look at some of most important supplements for adrenal fatigue.
Natural Supplements for Adrenal Fatigue
Start with the basics: a well-rounded, high-quality multivitamin/mineral complex that includes the full B-complex group, vitamin C, vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium, as well as an omega-3 supplement, is essential for countering stress. I know how hard it is to get all of the nutrients our bodies require in today’s world of processed foods, and eating on the go! Give your body and your adrenals a hand with a solid nutrient base.
Herbal Supplements for Adrenal Fatigue
For further support, there are a number of medicinal herbs to consider. Traditional cultures have been drawing on botanical medicine for millennia, and today, research is bearing out the healing power (and safe use) of these herbs. I’ve had great success in restoring adrenal health with the following:
- Astragalus root. Studies show that Astragalus has many health benefits. It helps provide an increase in energy and endurance, as well as bolstering the immune system so you stay well when you’re under stress. Astragalus also aids healthy weight regulation by making cells more receptive to insulin and exerting an anti-inflammatory effect, helping to protect against insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.
- Cordyceps. This “anti-aging” medicine is not actually an herb at all, but a fungus. And plenty of research documents the ability of Cordyceps to modulate the immune system, naturally lower high blood-sugar levels, support energy levels, and aid the body’s natural ability to adapt to stress.
- Eleuthero (Siberian ginseng). Sometimes referred to as Siberian ginseng, Eleuthero shouldn’t be confused with “true” ginseng (herbs from the genus Panax). It is a much gentler herb that functions as an adaptogen, meaning that it naturally augments the body’s resistance to stress. Studies indicate that Eleuthero increases performance, concentration, and endurance during fatigue. It also protects the cells of your brain and increases cell sensitivity to insulin.
- Rhodiola rosea. This herb is well-known for its ability to help the body respond to stress efficiently, while offering an increase in energy. Rhodiola extract additionally has a neuroprotective effect, increasing the ability to concentrate in people who report feeling “burnt out.” It also has natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.
- Licorice root. Probably the best known herb for supporting adrenal imbalance, licorice root increases energy, endurance, and vitality. It can also increase blood pressure, but most women with adrenal dysfunction have low blood pressure, so this can be helpful. If you are among the few who have adrenal imbalance with a history of hypertension, however, do be sure to monitor your blood pressure regularly.
Get the Support You Need for Your Adrenals
I always take pleasure in learning more and sharing about the healing power of herbs. For my readers, I highly recommend you work with an integrative or functional medical practitioner to decide on the best course of action for you. Supplements for adrenal fatigue are powerful step to adrenal recovery, but making the rights choices for you is just as important.